Los Angeles Rideshare Accident Attorneys
Representing Those Injured in Accidents with Ubers & Lyfts
Ridesharing is an incredibly popular mode of transportation in Los Angeles County and throughout all of Southern California. But, with the increased number of Uber and Lyft vehicles on the road, the chances of being involved in an accident with a rideshare driver has also gone up.
If you were involved in a rideshare accident, whether as the passenger of the Uber or Lyft or as another driver or third party, it’s important that you reach out to an experienced attorney in order to protect your rights. These types of injury claims are often very complex due to the complicating factors inherent in rideshare accident cases. But at Bral & Associates, our Los Angeles rideshare accident lawyers can help you determine who was at fault for the accident, who is liable for your injuries, and how to move forward.
Since 1997, we have successfully handled more than 5,000 cases on behalf of clients throughout the area. Our firm has recovered over $10 million for our clients, including several seven-figure settlements and verdicts. We offer free initial consultations and can even travel to meet you in your home or at the hospital if necessary.
Get in touch with us today at (855) 951-2215 or contact us online. We are available 24/7.
Filing a Personal Injury Claim After an Uber Accident
Being involved in any car accident is a frightening experience. The aftermath of an Uber accident can be especially stressful, as there are several factors that make pursuing an accident claim more complex than doing so after a typical accident.
Although Uber drivers are performing a job, they are not the same as other types of commercial drivers, such as taxi drivers or delivery truck drivers, when it comes to filing a claim. Whereas commercial drivers’ employers (e.g. the taxi company, a trucking company, etc.) can generally be held legally liable for accidents caused by their drivers, Uber drivers are classified as independent contractors. This protects Uber from a great deal of liability in the event of an accident. Put simply, after an Uber accident in Los Angeles or anywhere in Southern California, you may not necessarily file a claim or lawsuit against Uber.
Instead, the process of filing a personal injury claim after an Uber accident typically goes as follows:
- If the Uber driver was at fault for the accident, the victim can file a claim with the Uber driver’s private auto insurance provider
- The claim will almost always be denied, as the Uber driver was using his or her vehicle in a commercial manner, which is not covered under most private auto insurance policies
- If the claim is denied, or once the Uber driver’s private auto insurance coverage is exhausted, you can turn to Uber’s insurance coverage
Uber offers different coverage amounts for those injured in accidents caused by its drivers. The amounts depend on the “period” in which the accident occurred, as outlined below:
- Period One: The app is turned on, but the Uber driver has not yet accepted a ride or picked up a passenger; coverage includes up to $50,000 in bodily injury per person, $100,000 in bodily injury per accident, and $30,000 in property damage per accident
- Period Two: The app is turned on, the driver has accepted a ride, but has not yet picked up the passenger/is on the way to pick up the passenger; coverage includes up to $1 million in bodily injury coverage
- Period Three: The app is turned on, the driver has accepted a ride, and the driver has picked up the passenger/the passenger is in the vehicle; again, coverage includes up to $1 million in bodily injury coverage in this scenario
If you have personal injury protection (PIP) insurance, also known as Med-Pay, you can avoid this by filing a claim with your own insurance provider. However, PIP is not mandatory in California, and you will only have this coverage if you have voluntarily elected to add it to your policy (for an additional cost).
What to Do If You Are Injured in a Lyft Accident in Los Angeles
Like Uber, Lyft classifies its drivers as independent contractors, meaning filing a claim after a Lyft accident will proceed in much the same way as pursuing a claim after an Uber accident. Lyft also offers similar coverage amounts for those injured in accidents with its drivers, with similar driving periods as defined by Uber.
It’s important that you take certain steps to protect your rights, including your right to recover compensation, after a Lyft accident. Whether you were the passenger of the Lyft, a driver in another vehicle, or even a pedestrian or cyclist, you could be entitled to recover for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages.
To the best of your ability, take the following steps after an accident in or with a Lyft vehicle:
- Check yourself and others for injuries. If needed, call 911.
- Seek medical attention, even if you believe your injures are not that serious.
- If anyone was injured, contact police and have them come out to the scene.
- Detail what happened to the police and have them fill out an accident report.
- Avoid apologizing, admitting fault, or making any statements that could be construed as such.
- Get the name, contact information, and insurance information of the Lyft driver.
- Talk to any witnesses at the scene and take down their name and contact information.
- Take pictures of the accident, your vehicle, your injuries, etc.
- Contact Lyft and inform them that you were injured in an accident with one of their drivers.
- Do not make any recorded statements or sign anything with Lyft.
- Contact an attorney who has experience handling rideshare accidents for a free consultation.
Why You Need a Rideshare Accident Attorney
Rideshare accidents are rarely straightforward. You are likely to experience difficulties in filing your claim and recovering the compensation you need and are owed for your economic and non-economic losses. Dealing with Uber, Lyft, or their representatives should be the last thing on your mind. Let Bral & Associates handle everything with your claim, including working with the rideshare company or insurance provider, so that you can focus your energy on your physical recovery.
Our Los Angeles rideshare accident lawyers understand the many nuances involved in these types of claims, and we have what it takes to effectively advocate for you. We are prepared to handle everything from the initial investigation and discovery through settlement negotiations and, if necessary, litigation and trial. We have a proven record of success in even the most challenging of cases and can fight for the justice and positive outcome you deserve.
Injured in an accident with an Uber or Lyft driver in Los Angeles? Contact Bral & Associates now at (855) 951-2215 for a free, confidential consultation.
I don't know where I would be if had not chosen you guys.- Chelsea C.
I hope I don't get hurt again but I would choose them again if I do.- Marcus M.
Their knowledge of the law will assure you "The Winning of Your Case."- A. E.
I trust him 100%.- Joel R.
My go-to lawyers from this point forward.- Anthony R.
Experience on Your Side
Our highly qualified legal team brings more than 50 years of combined experience to every case that we take on.
A Record of Proven Results
We are committed to maximizing the value of every case and have recovered more than $10 million for our clients.
We leave no stone unturned in the pursuit of the justice that our clients need and deserve after an injury.
Service With Substance
We believe in standing up for the underdog and use our platform to advocate for the betterment of our community.
Availability & Accessibility
We are prepared to make ourselves accessible to you when you need us, including by email, phone or video conference.
We are a highly focused boutique law firm that prides itself on treating every client like our only one.